Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas
49838867

I picked up a senior female peke last night whose owner passed

I picked up a senior female peke last night whose owner passed away months ago. Seems to have plenty of energy. I came home from work today to 2 piles of very watery brown diarrhea and a pile of very red diarrhea. Vet is closed! Lady who was keeping her said she had already given her parvo shot from the feed store.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Keisha's loose stools and possible bloody stools.

Was it fresh, bright red blood or darker, tarry blood? The fresher it appears the closer the source of bleeding is to her rectum.

The important factor in all of this is how Keisha is feeling. If she feels great then that is a good sign.

Colitis, or inflammation of the large intestine, can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, or exposure to anti-coagulant rodenticides.

A raw, irritated colon can take a few days to heal.

We do know that she has been under stress since she lost her original owner, went to a shelter or foster home and now is with you. It's also possible that she has experienced multiple diet changes along the way.

Parvo virus is very uncommon in an adult dog that has been vaccinated.

If she is feeling well I am less concerned as I believe this could be stress, dietary or parasite related but it should clear completely over the next 2 to 3 days. If not she should be checked by your regular veterinarian.

Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittantly and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.

Tonight I will give you some things to start at home.
If her appetite is off and her stomach is gurgling she may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with her diarrhea and bloody stools.
To try and settle her stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation from stress and/or diet changes.

I would not feed her any food for 24 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with bloody stools. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make her colon irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/2 boiled hamburger (or white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off mixed with 1/2 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.

Once she feels better (no bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in what will be her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

If Keisha is vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. No vomiting and acting fine. Yes she has been under alot of stress with many changes. Never seen a pool of bright red blood like that before and the diarrhea smelled AWFUL! She is here til a foster can be found and she gets a check up. So worried. I have 5 personal pekes and this made my freak out. I will keep her sequestered and use pedialyte and kaopectate. Already has appt Friday afternoon for exam. I just hope things are okay til then.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the further information.

I am glad that she feels well but I am sure that pile of bloody stool gave you pause. I think it is a great idea to keep her separate from your pups because we do need to worry about parasites.

If she felt badly, she was vomiting and her diarrhea looked more like raspberry jam another concern would be HGE or hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which causes severe bloody diarrhea with mucous, vomiting, dehydration, and lethargy. We aren't sure what the agent is behind that disease process but we think it is related to an intestinal bacterial overgrowth and the toxins that come along with that. They usually respond nicely to fluids, antibiotics and fasting followed by a bland diet. This can be life-threatening as they can dehydrate quickly. I don't think that is her trouble given she isn't vomiting and is feeling great but it is worth watching her very closely.

Poor girl needs a break and it sound like she's in great hands now. Please let me know if you have any further questions, Dr. Kara.