Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

My dog ate chicken bones

Customer Question

My dog ate chicken bones
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

HI, I'm Dr Steve. How big of a dog is she and how long ago did she eat the bones. I will check frequently to see your reply.

Customer: She is about 76 lbs and she ate them about 30 mins ago
Customer: Hi too :)
Dr. Steven Osborne :

How many bones and which ones did she eat?

Customer: I'm not sure. They were on the trash and I was outside. Not many, at most 2
Customer: Probably 1
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Ok, Thanks for the information. The good news is that her being a large dog makes it more likely that the bones will pass without much trouble.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

ALso only eating 2 or 3 bones is better than eating more. The only thing that can be done at this point is to watch her for the next few days and hep that the bones pass uneventfully.

Customer: Will I see them? Anything I shoul watch for? Get an X-ray tomorrow ?
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Feeding bread may help move the bones through the intestines. In my experience, I have had many dogs get into bones and very few of them have trouble. An x-ray will show the bones but you already know they are in there. Watching the stools for the next 3-4 days sohould be long enough.

Customer: Look for blood or other weirdness?
Dr. Steven Osborne :

The bones may be completely digested and not see anything in the stools. This depends on how fast the bones travel through the intestines. If they move through quickly, they may be seen in the stools. Slower moving intestines give the bones more time to be digested completely.

Customer: Thank you
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Things to watch for are , yes, blood in the stools, vomiting and vomiting with blood. Straining to have a bm and not producing a bm is another symptom to watch for .

Dr. Steven Osborne :

At this point the only thing that could be done would be abdominal surgery to remove the bones and this is not a good idea. Watching her for these symptoms and taking her to a vet if they would happen to occur and at that time more drastic procedures can be performed. As I said this would be very rare, but it will give you an idea what to expect in the worse case scenario.

Customer: Will do, and thanks you
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery