PetDr, Veterinarian
Experience:  PetDr has been a veterinarian for 13 years and working as a medical director in one of the best hospitals in NJ.

My dog is is salivating exessively. This is happening on a

My dog is is salivating exessively. This is happening on a frequent basis. It usually goes on for an hour or two and then stops. What could be cursing this. It happens about once every fortnight.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
I am sorry to hear that Billy's not been feeling well. None of us wants to see their beloved companion to be in some sort of discomfort. I'd would be glad to help you with your concerns. But first I will need a little bit more information from you so that I can address your concerns better. Please answer the following questions. Did the anti-nausea medicine stop his salivation? Did the vet find anything noteworthy after his/her physical exam? Is there any vomiting or diarrhea? How is his appetite? Is he interested in food? Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, his appetite is good. and he is fine in himself. No vomiting or diorrhea and his poos are fine.

The salivatingg is infrequent and so it's difficult to tell if the anti-nausea injection worked or not as the occurances are irregular, but on average every two weeks.

One thing I have noticed is that the salivating appears to be on the left hand side of his mouth, but I have not noticed anything odd in his mouth, but it is difficult to see.

It is not uncommon to see a dog having excessive amounts of salivation if they have some sort of dental problem. Especially the fact that you mentioned the salivation appears to be coming from left side makes me think about the possibility of a dental disease. The most common disease is periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is inflammation of some or all of a tooth's support. When compared to gingivitis, periodontitis indicates bone loss. If left untreated, periodontitis may cause loose painful teeth as well as internal disease. Periodontal disease is caused by plaque (bacteria). Bacteria are attracted to the tooth surface within hours of the teeth being cleaned. Within days, the plaque becomes mineralized and produces calculus. As plaque ages and gingivitis develops then periodontitis (bone loss) occurs. bad breath is the primary sign of periodontal disease. Dogs' and cats' breath should not have a disagreeable odor. When periodontal disease advances, inability to chew hard food as well as excessive drooling with or without blood may occur. There is also possibility of a broken tooth, which could be infected and causing salivation. Sometimes tumor growing inside the oral cavity, that cannot be detected from outside, can cause excessive salivation. Unfortunately to diagnose any of these problem a pet needs to be sedated. So, your veterinarian may need to sedate or anesthetize your pet, in order to complete the examination. It is because most of these problems I told you about cannot be found by just a routine physical exam. Dental radiographs (X-rays), not "skull films" (a radiograph of the entire head) may be necessary in order to make a proper diagnosis. Intra-oral radiographs are essential for deciding what's going on and what needs to done. If your veterinarian is unable to take dental radiographs, is unsure of a diagnosis, or if the treatment is beyond the clinic's level of dental experience, ask for a referral to a veterinarian who has an advanced certification in dentistry. (See American Veterinary Dental College or Academy of Veterinary Dentistry). Please, let me know if these information were helpful. I will be here answering your follow-up questions until you're satisfied. Hopefully we can find what's going on with Billy as soon as possible so that he can start enjoying himself again. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks.just one more question on this, would you know why it's so infrequent and what could trigger the salivating, since it's not all the time. in any case I wil get a vet appt as you suggest.

Thanks very much

No problem at all. Waxing and waning pain and subsequent drooling can be caused by a swelling at the ligaments connecting the teeth to the jaw bone or from a buildup of pressure due to pus forming and then later draining out. Basically any kind of pressure on the dental nerves can translate into pain. Some days he may feel better, some days worse. I hope this answered your question. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seems to be fine in himself and is appetite is fine.

He has no vomiting or diorrhea, and the salivating seems to be on the left side of his mouth.

Because the salivating is not that frequent it is difficult to tell how effective the anti-nausea injection had much effect, as its not happening all the time. Just every now and then and on average every couple of weeks.