Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have a 4 yr old pomeranian mix. She ate some bones & she

I have a 4 yr old pomeranian mix. She ate some bones & she had some serious trouble defecating it out. She finally passed it but then it seemed like poop would ooze out of her butt, like she didn't really have control of it. Now she is breathing fast, taking shallow breaths. She eats and drinks fine and is walking around. I will call the vet tomorrow morning. Please help.
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that Loke isn't feeling well. What a naughty girl, getting into those bones!

It is likely that rather than having difficulty passing the bone, she actually has diarrhea. I often see dogs straining and straining when they have diarrhea secondary to eating something they shouldn't, because they feel like they need to go, but the liquid stool either isn't there yet or has already passed. The panting is a sign of discomfort, which may be associated with cramping due to diarrhea. True constipation is very rare in adult dogs.

For now, withhold her food for about 12 hours to let her gut rest. Then feed her a bland diet, which should consist of plain boiled, boneless chicken and plain white rice, about 2/3 rice and about 1/3 chicken, with no added butter, salt, or flavors. This is calming and soothing to the GI tract. When you get to your vet, they may be able to prescribe medication to help stop the diarrhea. Avoid giving Immodium or Pepto Bismol, as they contain ingredients that can easily be toxic to dogs.

If she starts vomiting, this is a sign that her GI tract could be truly obstructed and that she needs immediate veterinary attention.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Loke. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus