Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

my rabbit has diarrhea,no vet opened, what can i do til mo

my rabbit has diarrhea,no vet opened, what can i do til moring
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I forgot to mention that the bunny is on cisapride .12 ml twice a day due to slow motility

Hello again Jeanne and thanks for waiting.

Thanks for the further information, it would be as well to stop the Cisapride until you can get to the vet.

Sorry to hear Nibbles is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. As you may be aware diarrhoea in the rabbit can be quite a serious situation so the sooner you can get her to the vet the better. The best means of treatment will almost always be prescription drugs such as antibiotics but sometimes lab tests on faecal samples are required in cases what you are seeing is due to some intestinal parasite or other.

2. The problem you face is that home remedies such as you might give to dogs and cats with diarrhoea are just not suitable for rabbits and some are downright dangerous for this species. However it would be a very good idea to give Nibbles water orally on the hour using a syringe or dropper or similar device, do this very slowly and gently though. You see one of the main complications of diarrhoea in the rabbit is dehydration so if you can keep this under control until you can get to the vet then this would be very useful. For a smaller rabbit give 5 ml on the hour but up to 10 ml for very large rabbits.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Can I keep the hay down and give him his pellets? My vet opens at 8am and Ill have him there in the morning. I have many syringes due to the cisipride so i will do the water every hour

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further.

Under these circumstances the best thing to do is not to give Nibbles anything to eat but keep giving the fluids orally until you can get her to your vet. Sometimes food can make matters worse in the short term.

Good luck,

Scott
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your help

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.