Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our black lab has been regurgitating her food after she eats

Our black lab has been regurgitating her food after she eats some of her meals. She eats 3 meals a day-8,12,5. The last couple of days she vomited up the 5:30 meals. My husband has switched her dog food for some soft dog food at first. Then he switched to some hamburger which was rinsed twice and mixed with some white rice. She ate the first meal and regurgitated it later. She kept down th e12:00 meal and then threw up the 5:30 me3al. My husband has just been giving her small doses. He is afraid she will be weak from her loss of food. Otherwise that the throwing up of food the dog seems to behave normal and doesn't appear sick. Her bowel movements are solid and have only changed a little in color and consistency because of the food change. She still loves to go out for her walks which we usually take her 3 times a day.She is about 11 years old and weighs 73 lbs. We took her to the vet today and they did an xray which didn't show anything. But it was hard to tell because she had just ea
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does she ever vomit without food?
2- Did your veterinarian do any blood work or fecal analysis?
3- Is she currently on any medications?
4- How much does she weigh?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Allie,our black lab,does not vomit at other times. It only has occurred the last 6 days and it is always after eating -about a half hour later. Today it might have been sooner.She is not heaving up the food . It just comes out easily in a heap.The vet did not do any blood work or didn't test the fecal matter. He did a heart worm test and did an xray.She currently isn't on any meds. She weighed 73 pounds which was just down 2lbs from her previous doctor's visit.She does not have any pre existing problems.

Sharon, when see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, tumors or even part of a systemic disease. Typically, to be able to evaluate the esophagus thoroughly we need to give a contrast material called barium to highlight the esophagus when we take an xray. Plain xrays often can miss esophagus disorders or certain types of foreign body. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for the next 3-5 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. Raise her eating bowl on to a small stool to force her to raise her head while she eats.

4- If she continues to regurgitate after doing the above, I would have her re-checked by family veterinarian to repeat the xrays after giving barium. In addition, fast her the night before having the xrays done.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.