Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have a Holstein steer that has the scours. I gave him boluses

I have a Holstein steer that has the scours. I gave him boluses and some LA 200 and he did well for a couple of days. He has suddenly taken a turn for the worse and now won't/can't get up because he is too weak. What can I do? I am also worried about the other steer in the field with him, do I need to get them all checked? Thanks in advance.
Hi there,

I'd definitely encourage you to get the one that is down checked out by a vet right away. Sometimes, running an IV of fluids and electrolytes can go a long way toward getting them back on their feet until you and the vet can identify the problem and get him treated.

I usually recommend getting the sick one out of the pasture and into a sick pen to avoid spreading the diarrhea and also to make sure he doesn't have to compete for feed and water with the others.

If the other one isn't showing signs, I'd be inclined to watch him for now. You might have your vet look at a fecal sample under the microscope and see if you can find the cause of the diarrhea that way-- if it's contagious, you can treat both animals.