Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Hi i have white english terrierabout 5 years old his poo

Hi i have white english bull terrierabout 5 years old his poo is like water
He is drinking lots off water
And he seems to have fluid under his skin from his chest to his belly
He has been sick but most of the time he licks his lips
We have been to the vet and he has sent a poo sample off
Alan

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Can I get a little more information about Boss? How long has he been having the watery diarrhea? Have you noticed any blood or slime/mucus in it? Is he having accidents in the house or can he hold it for awhile? What food does he eat?

Dr. Scarlett :

The fluid under his skin--is that new? Did your vet do any bloodwork?

Dr. Scarlett :

Has Boss been losing (or gaining) any weight? What is his activity level like? Any vomiting?

Customer:

About 3 weeks

Dr. Scarlett :

Is he straining when he poops?

Customer:

Boss is about 27 kg no he is not straining at all

Customer:

Little vomiting

Dr. Scarlett :

Did your vet do anything besides send off the poop sample? Can you answer my other questions, too, please?

Customer:

No blood no mucus in the poo he is on a glutue sorry about the selling, he gave us some specail food prescription diet food by hills and pro -kolin

Dr. Scarlett :

My first thought is a protein-losing enteropathy, mainly because of the fluid under his skin. A protein-losing enteropathy means that Boss' intestines aren't absorbing proteins the way they should. Here is a good website about one form of this disease:http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1381

Dr. Scarlett :

I really would head back to your vet and have him do bloodwork on Boss. I'd be very interested in seeing what his albumin and globulin levels are (these are proteins in the blood).

Customer:

But his poo is the same as before we went to the vets

Dr. Scarlett :

Often this disease is due to a food allergy, so starting Boss on a special diet (like Prescription Diet D/D venison or Z/D) can help. Steroids can suppress the immune system and stop inflammation and can be very useful to stop the diarrhea. Vit B12 injections can also be very useful as this vitamin is often lost with chronic diarrhea.

Dr. Scarlett :

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what your last remark means. I assume that the special food (is it I/D? or something else?) and the pro-kolin isn't making any difference?

Customer:

No he is the same as before like water coming out of the other end not nice for the dog

Dr. Scarlett :

No, not nice for Boss OR for you! So obviously the vet hasn't found the answer yet. That is why I would go back and ask for further testing. If Boss does have fluid under his skin, then there is something more serious going on than just gastroenteritis (which is what your vet is currently treating him for). I don't think anything will be found in the poo sample your vet sent off--he needs to do bloodwork.

Hi Alan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boss. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett