Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a cat that had a bad tooth which was removed Friday

Customer Question

I have a cat that had a bad tooth which was removed Friday (09-20-13) Other teeth were cleaned at the same time. Blood work was done - report from Dr. due back today. Temp was normal. Isn't drinking or eating as much as we thought by now - we're about 60 hours since surgery. He will eat the juice from canned albacore tuna and does small amounts drink water. Not certain how much though. He's tried soft cat food. He is on antibios (1 mil/2 xs day - Antirobe Aquadrops) and we've given him that 4 times now. I'm concerned about getting some food into him. Just now he drank juice from tuna can and then pretty quickly vomited foamie clear spit. He was a cat with raspy voice at times. Wondering if there are more problems? Concerned about getting food into him. pvc@provalorcharters. Thank you - Cecilia Donegan
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear that Mickey is still eating so poorly after having had that problem tooth removed. Often when cats have dentals to extract painful rotten teeth, we see them bounce back and starting eating like champs. So if it has been a few days since the procedure and Mickey isn't eating as he normally would, then I'd be concerned that he may have some oral discomfort (ie at the extraction site, a sore throat from the intubation tube, or even a sore jaw from having had his mouth open wide during the procedure).

In that case, I would suggesting ringing his vet now. They can hopefully report back the blood sample findings (which would tell us if there is something else we'd have to be concerned about). More importantly, you can have them dispense pain relief for him to allay any soreness he may be experiencing (Depending on the blood report's findings for his kidney function, they may dispense a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Metacam. Or if his kidneys are found to be struggling then they may dispense an alternative medication). And if you are very worried, then they should be able to fit him in today for a post-operative check (which are usually included in the price of the dental procedure).

As well, since it is quite important to get nutrition into Mickey, I would also suggesting picking up some Hill's A/D (LINK) or Royal Canin Recovery (LINK) diet from your local vet. These are both critical care diets that are a soft, palatable pate style food that would be easy for him to eat if his mouth is sore. The diets are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and this could just help get some more calories into him even if we can’t get a huge volume of food in. Alternatively, there is an animal version of Ensure (balanced for animals dietary requirements) called Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet ((http://www.abbottanimalhealth.com/veterinary-professionals/products/nutritionals.html ) that your vet will likely have on hand as well. This is a liquid diet and may be of use for Mickey if he will only lap liquids just now. As well, all of these diets can be used to syringe feed if we are really struggling to get him eating properly.

Overall, I would be concerned that with this prolonged post-operative period of poor appetite that wee Mickey may have some oral discomfort. Therefore, it is worth ringing his vet now to see if they can report those bloods, but more importantly dispense some kitty safe pain relief and a soft calorically diet to make sure we can get him eating and get him back on track.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with 4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm on an island (British Virgin Islands) whereby our service is from a vet that comes here 3 times a week from St. John's. I believe we have options with meds that we can pick up from animal shelter here on island. I will call vet as soon as they open today. Thanks a bunch for your advice -- I am worried. Cecilia

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I failed to indicate that he cries when you go to pick him up ... or if you're too close. He seems irritible. Normally, he loves his snuggles. He's not purring either. Cecilia

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Cecilia,

It is not uncommon to see cats become irritable, withdrawn, hide, be less keen to cuddle or purr, if they are uncomfortable. Since the vet has just seen him, they shouldn't have any issue with giving the shelter permission to dispense pain relief and critical care food (which I would suspect a shelter would have on hand for animals who come to them emaciated) for Mickey even if they cannot see him personally.

All the best for wee Mickey,
Dr. B

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cecilia Donegan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mickey. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. B, thanks for your follow-up. I thought about sending you a note but didn't know how the service worked. I wanted to share with you that Monday, the same day I spoke to us, we took Mickey in about 11 AM for an IV drip. He was given 300 mil. On the way home he peed all over himself and in just that time when we let him out of the cage at home, always thrilled to get out of that thing, he struggled. He couldn't walk, he was confused, scared, etc. We bathed him a bit to get the urine off. He ran out of their after a good snuggle by his mom and laid on the floor. By 3 PM that day we finally heard from the vet which is based on St. John (USVI) and is there on Mondays. She advised that his blood test results were in and they were not good. He was off the charters on the kidney tests (15.6 & 150). She confirmed complete kidney failure. We decided we'd put Mickey to sleep immediately as he was already starting to vomit.

This guy was my absolute favorite, my true friend. We are both at a loss w/o him, and still reeling from losing the other cat Aug 22. So we ended up staying good-bye to our two furry friends of 12.5 and 11.5 years in just 32 days.

Sadness in our hearts and it's going to take some time.

I am grateful for your follow-up and am appreciative that you were there in the final hours. I was really struggling that last day and had to make up my mind, even b4 hearing from Dr. Laura, that he was dying and we needed to lay him to rest. I just can't believe how quicky he died and how much he changed on just that last day alone.

Kindest regards,

Cecilia Donegan

PS: Someone that knew of our situation brought a cat to us Tuesday which we will use as our dock cat. We picked out another cat that will be a home cat and pick her up Friday. In time I would guess we'll get a playmate for the home cat. The new little girl, Marina, is already a little treat. Again, thanks!

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Dear Cecilia,

I thank you for the update on Mickey and I am so sorry to hear that the blood results revealed such severe kidney failure. And while I know it will have been heart wrenching, it does sound like you made the right decision under the circumstances since he was feeling ill with his the kidney failure already.

Please take care & do take comfort in the years of great memories you have had with him and not just this sad wee chapter. And hopefully Marina will be able to help your heart heal after having to let Mickey go.

Take care,
Dr. B.