knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a small animal veterinarian - dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rabbits, pocket pets
71139618

My rabbit is 5 years old and has started to everywhere

My rabbit is 5 years old and has started to urinate everywhere in his hutch. Usually he is a clean rabbit. This has been happening for about 3 weeks what is wrong with him.

knstrand :

Hello, my name isXXXXX can try to help answer your question about Bunny

knstrand :

Sorry to hear he is having urinary issues

knstrand :

Do you feed timothy or alfalfa hay?

knstrand :

Alfalfa hay is very high in calcium and can cause build up of sediment, or even stones in bunnies.

knstrand :

We can also see urinary tract infections.

knstrand :

The only way to determine the difference between the 2 would be a veterinary examination including a urinalysis obtained by cystocentesis. This is when we use ultrasound to get the urine with a needle in a sterile fashion. This allows us to truly determine if infection is present. Also it will allow your vet to visualize stones or sediment.

knstrand :

If he has a urinary infection, antibiotics are definitely warranted. We also must be very careful with antibiotic therapy in bunnies due to their sensitive GI system.

knstrand :

Hopefully this helps

knstrand :

Please feel free to respond with further questions/concerns.