Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I came across this topic from four years ago. My cat, Mister,

I came across this topic from four years ago. My cat, Mister, has weighed about 15 pounds for most of his life. On Mar. 19th he weighed 15.1 pounds. He is now 8 1/2 years old. A couple of months ago I noticed he was losing weight. I weighed him at 12.4 pounds on 8/16. I took him into the vet and they did blood and urine work - came back OK. His teeth needed cleaning and I took him in for that. Four teeth had to be removed. His weight stabilized in the low 12's, but this morning he was down to 11.6. He used have a huge appetite, now, when I put his favorite food in front of him, he eats one bite, then looks at me as if I had just fed him cardboard - just doesn't seem to want to eat. He doesn't have any symptoms of vomiting or diarrhea that I know of - uses outside bark instead of litter. He seems a bit tired all the time, but doesn't seem to be in any distress other than not having any appetite for the first time in his life. I will be making another vet appointment for him but any ideas from you would be extremely helpful.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Mister.
Yes, a few thoughts.
1. You need to inquire with the vet if they performed a thyroid level on that last blood test. Even if it were normal, make sure to check it again.
A extremely common cause for weight loss in middle to older age cats is hyperthyroidism. They can even be eating normally and still lose weight.

Unfortunately, another concern would be a cancer cause. Yes, even with a perfectly normal blood test when last checked. So, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the vet recommends either a abdominal x-ray, or even more likely, a ultrasound of the belly to look at the organs, as well as, the intestinal and stomach walls and layering. Even with no vomiting or diarrhea, this is a concern.

What is Abdominal Ultrasound in Cats

To try and help improve the appetite ask the vet for a stimulant medication like cyproheptadine, given up to twice daily as needed, or better, Mirtazapine, given only once every 3 days.

Considering the huge appetite yet losing weight initially, the thyroid issue is suspicious.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Andy,

Thank you for your excellent advice. Mister appears to be eating more in the past few days, and I am hoping this continues. He is still recovering from the teeth cleaning and having four teeth pulled. If he starts to lose weight again I will take him into my local vet and explore the thyroid issue you mentioned. Beyond that the ultrasound is an excellent idea. However, so far all is improving as of this morning.

Thank you,

Tom

You are very welcome Tom.
I hope everything else works out well.

Good Luck