Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

My 13 year old Shizu Pekingese mix had a brief seizure after

My 13 year old Shizu Pekingese mix had a brief seizure after coming up a flight of stairs. Why?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi,I'm Dr Steve

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Seizures can occur more frequently as a dog ages. A seizure is a disturbance in the conduction of electrical impulses in the brain and can be due to a number of possible causes. Unfortunately the only way to know what part of the brain is involved or how bas it is is by having an EEG ( electroencephalogram) . This test is typically only done at a university teaching hospital . It gives more insight into the origin of the seizure, but rarely changes the management of the seizure.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

In the vast majority of seizures, especially in older dogs, management includes recording on a calendar when a seizure occurs, how long the seizure lasts and how the dog acted during the seizure. The standard recommendation is to keep a dog quiet and avoid stimulation ( like excess petting, loud noise, light, etc) this helps reduce stimulation that the brain has to process and seems to help the seizure stop sooner.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If the seizures become more frequent than once a month, then the recommendation is to start the dog on antiseizure medicine which is typically phenobarbital pills daily. Once this medicine is started it is best to continue it for the rest of the dog's life and this is why it is commonly only started if the seizures become more frequent than once a month.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

The other thing to consider is if the seizures are not more than once a month, medicine is still considered if the seizures begin to last longer with each one or if they become more severe. This is some thing that keeping a log of will help you remember details , especially if it is very long between seizures,

Dr. Steven Osborne :

In the vast majority of cases, when a dog has a seizure they are usually over it by the time they can be taken to a vet, so the log helps the vet make the decision if it is warranted to start the medicine. I realize and apologize that I can't tell you exactly why your dog has had a seizure, but hopefully this will help you understand why this is difficult and give you some insight to the management of seizures.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so i may receive credit for my answer. If you have any more questions that I can help answer to your satisfaction, please continue.

Customer: Thanks so much for your input...she is sleeping now. I will call the vet on Mon. Morning. Always a worry when something like this happens. Especially on a Sat. Night
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Seizures can be very scary and especially the first one or two. I see it very frequently. I wish you luck and if you have any more questions in the future, I would be happy to help you if needed. God Luck. ANother thought. I have many dogs that have a seizure 1-2 times a year and seem to get along very well, so hopefully that will be the case with Millie. Thanks for using just answer , good luck and have a nice weekend.

Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery