Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My small 8 1/2 pound Pomeranian ate olive pits when a guest

My small 8 1/2 pound Pomeranian ate olive pits when a guest put their plate on the ground. I am worried if this will cause her a problem and if I should try to make her throw up, or if I wait to see if she passes them. I do not know how many she got a hold of, estimate is 4 maybe 5. She also has a problem with a breathing condition and will not tolerate any surgery if it comes to an obstruction. I wonder if it would be best to make her get rid of it now, but I don't want a problem with her choking when it comes back up. What to do? Not to be graphic, but she does have larger poop for such a small dog. I do not know if that will help with the process of it coming out. Very very concerned!
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, your dog should be able to pass 4-5 olive pits in the feces without any problems. What you can do is change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) for 2-3 days. The rice will bind the pits and pass in the feces without any problems. She will be fine, no need to worry.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, thanks for your answer, but problem is she is allergic to rice. Is there something else I can give her. I feed her a dehydrated food right now. It is Grandma Lucy Pure Performance and the base is chick pea with other vegetables and chicken, dehydrated when I take it out then mix with water for rehydration when she eats it. Will this type of regular food be okay instead of rice. She is not fed kibble. Her food is pure human grade ingredients eaten as a soft but thicker soup like. I also gave her some coconut water which can help with bowel movement.

The idea is to increase the amount of fiber. So, if she can not have rice just add 2-3 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to her food.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you. I will try the pumpkin and hope for the best. It seems the best route is to see if she will pass them and not try to make them come back up by inducing vomiting. I have another Pomeranian boy and when he eats anything that is too large he tends to vomit it sometimes. He does not chew his food very well and sometimes he has larger chunks of carrots he vomits. Will she do this with the olive pits? She does not ever do the vomiting thing because she usually chews her food, but in the case of these olive pits she was in a hurry to get away with her bad behavior. Do you think it will pass or may she vomit it?

I think she will pass it in the feces.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the chance that 4 olive pits may cause an obstruction? I am very concerned about letting that happen if there is something to do now to prevent that. Is it likely she will pass them in her stool okay?

Colleen, as described above I don't believe 4 olives are going to be obstructed. To be on the safe side increase the fiber as we discussed above.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you. I will try the pumpkin.

Your Welcome Colleen.

Dr. Peter