Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

I work 12 hour rotating shifts from a day to night schedule.

I work 12 hour rotating shifts from a day to night schedule. I am also single. Which pet would be right for me? I would rather not have fish, reptiles, or rodents. I am looking at either cats or dogs.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

Given your long hour work schedule, it's my opinion that you'd do better adopting cats rather than dogs. Cats are certainly social creatures which is why I'd suggest you get two, rather than one, so they can keep each other company.
But they don't need to be walked on a regular basis, they are already housebroken, they spend a great deal of their time sleeping, they can be fed on a schedule or dry food left out for them to eat when they short, they would accommodate your schedule better than a dog would. Also, you wouldn't have to rush home to take care of them if you were running late after work.

Dogs need exercise, they need to be housebroken, they desire human companionship, they can develop behavioral issues if left alone for long periods of time....they are wonderful pets but require much more attention than most cats.

It's obviously your decision to make, but I think cats would be better suited to your lifestyle.

I hope this helps. Deb

I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
Good luck with whatever species you decide to adopt...but I hope it will be two cats:)

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb