Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery

I have been given a Shar pei but his eyes seem to be very infected

I have been given a Shar pei but his eyes seem to be very infected during the day I don't think he can open them, in the afternoon they don't seem as bad I have been clean them with green tea (luke warm 3 time a day) the vet is only open 3 days a week and its very hard to get an appointment is there anything else I can do for this dog
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 7 months ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi.I'm Dr Steve.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

There canbe several Causes of eye discharge that you have described. Are you able to see the eyes after you have cleaned out the discharge?

Customer:

Once he settles he will open his eyes, but the still look very infected

Dr. Steven Osborne :

A common cause is an infection that is causing irritation to the eyes and the eyes' response is to produce excess mucus and mixed with infection can cause a thick material that can "glue " the eyes shut. I imagine the eyes are very redden .. IS that right?

Customer:

yes and they leak? is that the right word all day and very red I have had chow's that suffer from the eye problem

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If this is an infection only , then he will likely need antibiotic eye drops and these are available only with a prescription from your vet or by buying them directly from your vet. There is another condition that is common in Shar Peis and that is called entropion. With the loos skin around the head of a shar pei, the eyelids can actually be infolded and rubbing against the eye with each blink. This rubbing is like having many hairs rubbing against his eyes. THis causes severe irriatation and the mucus production and excess tear production and eventually an infection. }

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Entropion is common in chows too. Unfortunately if there is an infolding of the eyelids, this condition will not get better on its own and may only improve slightly with antibiotics. If he does have entropion he will need surgery to remove a wedge of skin to help "pull" the eyelid back to a normal position and stop the irritation that is likely going on.

Customer:

sun light really irritate's them I think and some times he will walk into things because he can't see them

Customer:

Can I buy the drops on line?

Dr. Steven Osborne :

FOr now, until you can get him to a vet to have this checked out, the only thing that you cando at home that may help would be to use artificial tears to help flush infection and mucus out and continue using a warm rag with or with out tea to soften and remove the mucus so he can open his eyes. With the constant irritation, there can be damage to the cornea and this can be painful and definitely can affect his vision. You can try to buy antibiotic drops online, but most pharmacies will require a prescription. There may be some homeopathic eye drops that shouldn't hurt, may help and likely won't need a prescription.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If you just search for ophthalmic drops there should be a list and should tell you if they require a prescription. Again the drops are likely just going to be a temporary fix and surgery may be the permanent solution

Customer:

Got name for them I am out my league

Customer:

Sorry about thank very much for your help I check on line

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I don't know off hand, but give me a minute and I will try to find a brand for you I will beback in a few minutes

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Can you stay with me for a minute or two?

Customer:

yep no problems

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Google Cineraria. That seems to be pretty common and most eye drops you are going to find will be himan and that should be ok for a dog. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so I may receive credit for my answer. If you have more questions please continue. Thanks for using just answer and good luck

Dr. Steven Osborne :

himan should be human

Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 6 months ago.
Hi Cheryll,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pumba. How is everything going?

Dr. Steven Osborne