Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in emergency medicine, zoo, exotic, and wildlife medicine.
21470562

Hi, My severe macaw (28 trs old) I have him 7 years , he eats

Hi, My severe macaw (28 trs old) I have him 7 years , he eats seeds, human food (peanut butter jelly' a little fatt meat , likes bell peppers,fruit etc.) and some high end pellets, always fresh bottled water. cage is in screened in area with a cockatiel and a parrokeet. He started sneezing more than normal, sometimes 3 or 4 sneezes at a time . I put on my reading glasses and noticed his nostrils seem larger ( mabe inflamed) and sometimes clear discharge billateraly. I noticed he rubs the top of his nose and head, and he does yawn sometimes when he rubs his head. After some research I seem to think a treatment of baytril in his water 1gm/ltr for a recomended period of days, then probiotics bacteria to rebalance gut. Meds are on the way in a couple days, otherwise bird seems normal. Do you think this is a safe and good way to go? The only avain vet is far away and expensive, pleasa advise. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I will try to answer your questions and help your macaw. Are the other two birds also sneezing?

Customer:

they dont seem to be

Customer:

no they are not sneezing

Dr. Gwen :

Great, that is good news! It sounds like you have looked into this extensively and the information you have gathered is accurate. Is there any color to the discharge from the sneeze? Or is it all clear?

Customer:

clear, but only a little discharge, not enough to bother wiping and spooking him

Dr. Gwen :

That is good news as well. One problem that can be common in parrots is sinusitis, or inflammation of the sinuses. Many of them present with just some mild swelling of the nostrils, sneezing, and nasal discharge. It is commonly treated with antibiotics in water, (baytril is frequently used), for a period of time. This can upset the GI flora and probiotics can help re-establish that. From your research, you have found this information as well!

Dr. Gwen :

One thing I recommend to my clients is to humidify the air a few times per day to help nebulize the airways. This can be as easy as putting the bird in the bathroom and running a hot shower so the air is steamy for them to breathe.

Customer:

so humid is better than a/c

Customer:

sounds good, Dr., seems

Customer:

also how long do you reccomend using the baytril?

Dr. Gwen :

Yes, humid is very important until they have fully recovered. I would also strongly recommend that if at any time he becomes worse, lethargic, stops eating, etc, you should call the avian vet to talk about options. Sinusitis cases can resolve quickly in some cases, while others become chronic in nature, with some improvement, then worse again, then improvement. Those cases can be a bit frustrating.

Dr. Gwen :

Most cases of sinusitis I will prescribe baytril for approximately two weeks.

Customer:

Thanks DR Gwen

Dr. Gwen :

Good luck, I hope he is feeling better soon!

Dr. Gwen, Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years experience in emergency medicine, zoo, exotic, and wildlife medicine.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks again!