knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a small animal veterinarian - dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rabbits, pocket pets
71139618

Older dog who is 14 has a very swollen eyeball, she is diabetic

Older dog who is 14 has a very swollen eyeball, she is diabetic but other than this eye problem she is happy and eating, drinking, going ti he bathroom and taking two 20 minute walks outdoors. We have a regular vet but my wife who suffers terribly from mental illness will not let me take her to the vet.. I don'tknow if you can help me by telling me what may be wrong

knstrand :

Hello, my name isXXXXX I can try to help answer your question about Abby.

knstrand :

Sorry to hear about her eye, and her diabetes condition. Does she get daily insulin therapy?

knstrand :

Still dogs with diabetes often get cataracts in their lenses. Were her eyes white and vision compromised prior to the swelling of the eyeball?

knstrand :

These cataract lenses are more prone to luxation or slipping out of their regular place. This causes the normal drainage of the fluid within the eye to become clogged causing the eye to swell (also known as glaucoma).

knstrand :

Unfortunately if this is the case it can be a very painful condition and if not addressed, may lead to rupture of the eyeball itself. Even with medical management we often end up needing to surgically remove eyes with glaucoma.

knstrand :

I have a suspicion that this is the trouble Abby is running into. However, if the eyeball itself is normal size, and it's the tissues around the eye that seem swollen it may be a less severe issue.

knstrand :

Unfortunately seeking veterinary attention is advised.

knstrand :

Hopefully this helps and please feel free to respond with any further questions or specifics.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for answering my question, about 7 years ago she as diagnosed with "panis" so we give her Neopoly sex every day.... yes she is on a insulin regimen.... her eye did get white before and at the beginning of the swelling but now looks red and when she itches it it starts to bleed a little bit.... my wife is also very sick she has OCD/agoraphobia which complicates this issue even further.. is an eye rupture worse case scenario and what happens then?
If the globe is enlarged (the eyeball).... there is really no way around seeing a vet. If the eyeball ruptures it's just like it sounds ..... like the eyeball basically pops from too much pressure. Bad news, emergency surgery. I'd recommend getting a veterinary opinion before it gets to this point.
Hi Dave,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abby. How is everything going?

knstrand