knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a small animal veterinarian - dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rabbits, pocket pets
71139618

My dog ate a pellet of rat poison what should I do?

knstrand :

Hello, my name isXXXXX I will try to help

knstrand :

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide on hand?

knstrand :

Did Moe Moe just eat the pellet now?

knstrand :

I would recommend inducing vomiting right now, the hydrogen peroxide if you can get him to eat/drink about 20-30 mLs should cause vomiting.

knstrand :

The sure fire way of inducing vomiting would be taking him to your local vet or emergency hospital where they can induce vomiting.

knstrand :

We must try and get him to bring up the pellet. Digestion of the pellet could cause issues with his clotting ability in the next day or two often resulting in scenarios where the patient bleeds to death.

knstrand :

Was it a large cube of rat bait or a tiny pellet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The pellet was small
That's better than a large cube. However, we still need to make him bring it up somehow. Especially before it passes beyond the stomach which typically takes 30 min to 1 hour
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even if he crunched it up ?
Yes, inducing vomiting will bring up the entire contents of the stomach. If we can make out most of the bits of the pellet in the vomit, he will probably be okay (it's green in color so you should be able to make out the pieces). However, if there is any question you should just head for the emergency clinic. They will also administer activated charcoal to absorb the partially digested bits left in the GI tract.