Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

what would the conversion be if clavamox 125mg/5ml liquid is

what would the conversion be if clavamox 125mg/5ml liquid is only available for an 8.5 pound cat?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

Well, 125mg/5ml is the same thing as 25mg/ml.

So, if a cat was getting 1 ml of 62.5mg, they would now need to take 2.5ml of the 125mg/5ml liquid.

2.5ml is a lot to give a cat, so I wouldn't suggest that.

Of course, it all depends also on what dose the vet wanted you to give.
I am not permitted by law to tell you exactly what dose to give of a prescription antibiotic since I haven't examined your cat, but i'm sure you already knew I can't practice medicine but only give advice.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is that not the equivalent? How would that be larger???

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrea.

62.5mg per each ml.

The other formula is 125mg per 5mls. So, that is the same thing as 25mg per each ml.

So, let's say a cat NEEDS 62.5mg. Well, the first one is better because you only need 1 ml of fluid to give 62.5mg of medicine. But, with the second one, you need to give 2.5ml of fluid to deliver the same 62.5mg.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks it makes sense. it was just the amount of liquid you were stating as quite a bit

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
:)

No one likes giving liquids to cats.
So, any time I prescribe a liquid, I try to ensure it is never more than about 1 ml. I keep the amount small.

so, I was inferring, that giving a cat 2.5ml would be a lot in comparison to 1 ml. Just for comparison sake.

Have a nice day, and hope that the answers have helped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX so easy to give liquid to it should be no problemLaughing

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrea,
Good Luck.

Again, I do not know what the original recommended dose of clavamox was for your pet.

I cannot endorse you giving 2.5ml of the other product to your cat. It's a legal issue. You must confirm with your primary vet if okay to give.

Good Luck
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management