Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have a four day old fullblood boer doe kid who is bright

I have a four day old fullblood boer doe kid who is bright and active but is showing signs of abdominal discomfort periodically and scouring bright red blood - she is on high quality milk replacer, has had colostrum for the first 24hrs and is fed 4-6 hourly round the clock? Any ideas for help?
Hi there,

It sounds as if your goat has some colitis starting up. It's great that she got colostrum and you're feeding her on the schedule you describe. The bright red blood indicates irritation in her lower GI tract, past where her intestines can try to digest the blood. I'd recommend getting this kid on some antibiotics pronto and going for something that's a bit bigger gun than the Neomycin.

Bloody diarrhea sounds like Clostridium, a bacteria that commonly causes diarrhea in baby farm animals. I'd recommend penicillin at 20,000 IU per pound of goat, once a day, for 5-7 days. Watch her carefully-- if she is getting weaker or appears dehydrated, she may need veterinary attention and IV fluids to keep up with the fluid losses from her diarrhea. Continue with the electrolytes when you feed her, and consider adding a probiotic once a day. If she's not showing improvement within 3-5 days, consider having a vet culture her feces to make sure Clostridium is really what we're dealing with (common things occur commonly, and this fits your description, so it's my working theory at this point).

If you can get a hold of a product called BioSponge (vet or web), I'd recommend that as well. It's an oral product that absorbs bacterial toxins from the GI tract, and it is a good supportive product for diarrhea. It comes as a paste or a powder, and the paste is much easier to use.

The main thing we want to do is a) keep her from getting dehydrated, and b) kill the bacteria in her gut before they can cross from her GI tract into her blood and make her septicemic. These little kids can get very sick very fast, and once they are septicemic, they need intensive hospital care (with fluids, IV antibiotics, etc) just to survive. With treatment, she should be stable, and then she should begin getting a little better every day. If not, she needs veterinary attention without delay.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.