Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

We noticed this AM that our 10yr old Rottweiler had a severely

We noticed this AM that our 10yr old Rottweiler had a severely swollen right hind foot. As the day has progressed, it look like the swelling has gotten worse and now his foot is starting to bleed in a few different places. His foot, and even part of his leg, is warm. He can put some pressure on that foot but not much. Also, he doesn't have an appetite. What's the likely cause of this and should we seek immediate attention for him?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Davidson.

Absolutely, I do feel he needs to get into a veterinary immediately. I would not even wait until tomorrow morning.

The severity in the swelling could cause serious complications and even permanent injury if not quickly controlled.

Possible causes could include a hypersensitivity reaction, like from an insect bite or sting. I would also consider lymphedema, when the lympathics of the body cause swelling. We can't ignore circulatory problems like a clot and cancerous causes.

Either way, to see the oozing suggests open skin, and that means, a predisposition to getting infected quickly.

Definitely, worth the emergency consult right now. A vet will likely recommend some immediate steroids to reduce the swelling. Very sorry to hear about this complication for Davidson. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your quick response. I noticed that you mentioned steroid as a treatment for this issue. Davidson has been been taking Prednizone (sp?) for the past 2 weeks due to intestinal inflammation issue. Would a Prednizone help him right now?

Hi Patrick,
Not likely enough, and I wouldn't encourage any additional dose beyond what he is normally given. Unfortunately, I am worried there may be a more serious matter including a underlying inflammatory disease or cancerous cause.

Very sorry to hear what is happening. Bring your medications to the ER vet so they can review them and dosing.