Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

dog ate a half loaf bread

dog ate a half loaf bread
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the bread?
2- The bread was baked not raw dough, correct?
3- Any symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. 2-1/2 hours

2. baked

3. No Symptons

Larry, bread is not toxic and most dogs will be able to digest baked bread without any problems. In some cases we can see gastric dilatation, vomiting, constipation/diarrhea. I would recommend to hold the food for the day. Keep water available and observe him. If he becomes severely lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation have him checked by family veterinarian, otherwise he should be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Larry,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Murphy. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Murphy is doing good so far. He shows no ill effects, however the potty runs have increased significantly. He must have a "cast iron" bowel tract. I believe he will be OK.

Larry Merritt

Hello Larry,

I am happy to learn Murphy is doing ok. Thank you for the update.

Dr. Peter