Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

I have a 9 yr. Old Female spayed Shi-stu who is shaking like

I have a 9 yr. Old Female spayed Shi-stu who is shaking like she's cold but her nose very hot & she is panting hard. What is wrong & what can we do if anything? Ann
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hello Ann - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is Fancy having any trouble walking or jumping?

Does she seem painful when you push on her back?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is she eating and drinking normally today?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

She is not eating well & is drinking lots of water. No other simptoms.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Fancy is not feeling well today. Her symptoms are concerning since she is not eating well, is shaking and is panting quite hard. Shaking and panting can be due to pain somewhere in her body, a fever, or low temperature, or even anxiety/fear. Without examining her giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult, though I can tell you some of the more common disorders that could be causing her symptoms tonight:

- Pain could be in her back, neck or even in her abdomen. There are many different disorders that can cause pain in these areas though I will try to narrow down the list to some of the more common ones:

Back or neck pain can be caused by a bulging disc in her spine, a muscle strain, or even a tick borne disease such as Lyme disease or Erhlichia.

Pain in her abdomen could be caused by an infection in her kidneys, spleen liver or gall bladder, pancreatitis which is inflammation of her pancreas, urinary tract stones, or unfortunately even cancer in one of her organs though I do not like to mention this disorder. She could also have quite a bit of an upset stomach that is causing her to be uncomfortable, shake and not want to eat very much.

At this point, since she does seem uncomfortable, I honestly would recommend taking her to an emergency hospital tonight. Any type of pain that occurs suddenly is an indication that she needs to be examined by a vet in order to get her the appropriate medication to help her.

I can understand that taking her to a vet is not always easy to do, though I strongly recommend it. If you cannot take her to a vet tonight then I can give you some over the counter medications that you can try to relive her pain and possible stomach discomfort.

If you wanted to give something for pain that is over the counter you could use buffered or enteric coated aspirin. The dose is 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Even though this is safe some dogs can develop an upset stomach therefore if you see any vomiting or diarrhea then I would stop the aspirin.

You can also give some pepcid AC to help with the stomach discomfort. This is very safe and virtually has no side effects. I would give her 5 mg for every 25 pounds of weight every 24 hours. This medication usually comes in 10 mg per tablet. You can get this medication from a local drug or grocery store over the counter.

Overall, her symptoms are concerning therefore I would really try to get her examined by a vet tonight if possible as this would be the best way to get an exact diagnosis and proper treatment.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
Hi Ann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fancy. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt