VetInternist
VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Staff Internist and Medical Director
21344439

my eight year old pug is shivering and panting now she seems

my eight year old pug is shivering and panting now she seems to have a hard time breathing she has been taking prednizone for four days and been on antibiotic for an apparent infection the vet cant find
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  VetInternist replied 11 months ago.

VetInternist :

Hello!

VetInternist :

Is your dog eating and drinking normally?

VetInternist :

Do you know why your veterinarian prescribed the prednisone?

Customer:

no she is hardly eating or drinking she is also having a hard time walking .the vet said he ran a blood test and that she had an infection

VetInternist :

Was she having a difficulty walking before the prednisone?

VetInternist :

I will say that panting is a normal side-effect of prednisone and it is common and generally harmless. It also usually increases appetite and thirst. I am concerned that your dog is having so much difficulty, not eating, not drinking much and seems to be getting worse. I think it is time to do some additional diagnostics to see what the underlying problem is.

Customer:

well this started last saterday morning we woke up and she was shaking horribly my wife took her to the vet he said she had a fever gave her a shot and some antibiotics she perked up and seemed better untill sunday afternoon /evening i stayed up with her all night she wouldent move at all she was like a rag doll monday my wife took her back to the vet he took exrays because she seemed a little bloated as well at the time gave her another shot and put her on the prednizone and a huge pill

Customer:

sorryh dont type well

VetInternist :

it's ok. I have the time.

Customer:

and so now she is laying on her side and having a hard time breathing its like she has a stuffed nose or pnemonia

VetInternist :

Ok

VetInternist :

Do you have an emergency vet clinic nearby?

Customer:

i believe so

Customer:

my wife handles all this and she is out

VetInternist :

If you dog is laying on her side, unable to get up and is having trouble breathing she needs to be seen as soon as possible

Customer:

ok i wil take her in thank you

VetInternist :

sure thing. I hope it is just side effects of the pred, but I am really concerned about her

VetInternist :

do you have any other questions?

Experience: Staff Internist and Medical Director
I wanted to see how things went with your little pug. I hope she did well.