Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

We have a westie that is 3 years old. She has been spayed.

We have a westie that is 3 years old. She has been spayed. My wife feeds her some plain chicken breasts cooked from the store with dog food.

She usually throws up once a month but now it is a few times a month. This usually lasts for about a day where she will not eat or drink any water along with being lethargic. We have not had her scoped.

I have read that Westies' stomachs are sensitive. Your thoughts?
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Bailey's condition. This sort of problem can be most frustrating for both the owner and the veterinarian. Endoscopy is probably the best practical method to arrive quickly at a true diagnosis.
Judging from your description of her symptoms, I suspect that Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) may be the underlying problem. Unfortunately, IBD shares symptoms with a number of other conditions including kidney failure. Also, there is no "one per customer" rule for diseases, and poor Bailey may be suffering from more than one of these and/or yet other conditions. I'm sending the address of a very good article on IBD: and if you're interested, you can read a number of others by Googling "Inflammatory Bowel Disease in West Highland White Dogs".
There are treatment protocols that may be employed to help relieve the symptoms and lessen the frequency of episodes, but, to date, I am not aware of any definitive cure, sorry. Effectively controlling the disease can offer Bailey a relatively normal life in most cases with relatively modest effort. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you recommend a specific diet to cure this problem?
Hello again, David.
NO, I can't recommend a specific diet by name, but I can recommend types of diets like hydrolyzed protein or novel protein diets. Your veterinarian should be able to help by supplying these prescription grade diets. Another resource you might want to explore is called Balanceit. This is an online service that helps pet owners tailor make diets to meet their particular needs. They sell recipes and additives here:
Please let me know if I can be of further help.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob
Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?

Dr. Bob