Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

my dog was periodically being sick, however three weeks ago

my dog was periodically being sick, however three weeks ago it increased, we took her to the vet who checked her over, they could find nothing that felt wrong with her stomach. the gave her a sickness injection and a few days of a stomach liner. there was a slight improvement for a few days but she gradually started being sick again. three days ago she stopped eating. We took her back to the vets who did some blood test, they came back virtually normal, cells slightly high but she was running a temp of 39. The Vet said they would treat her with a possible angry stomach and bowel, they gave her a steroid, an antibiotic and something to line her stomach. they also gave us some tablets. She continues not to eat and frequent appears to dribble out water. Water is the only things she is having, she continues to decline all foods, can you advise
Hi there,
I'm so sorry to hear that Tilly isn't feeling well. I'm quite concerned that, with the long duration of signs, there might be something more going on than just an angry stomach. How long has it been since she received the medications from the vet? Has any imaging (X-rays or ultrasound) been done on her abdomen?

If it hasn't already been performed, my next diagnostic step would be to do X-rays or potential and ultrasound. We need to find out what is upsetting her stomach, and if it's a case of gastritis, it usually clears up within 5-7 days on medication. If it is something more serious, such as an infection in another organ like her uterus, or a mass in her abdomen, you can get changes in the white blood cells and fever accompanied by vomiting and without other signs.

The vet's treatments are very good steps to treat most causes of vomiting, but if you're not seeing improvement, I think it's time look a little harder for the cause.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tilly. How is everything going?