Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Help! I have a senior cat whom I think is developing an eye

Help! I have a senior cat whom I think is developing an eye infection. I noticed it starting to run this morning (just clear this morning) then this afternoon there is some green gook in her eye. I tried to wash it out and it seems like I have bothered her more now because she is rubbing her eye and blinking lots and keeping it closed. She is an indoor cat and looks like this just started this morning. I am not sure what to do its Saturday and I live in a small town that doesn't have vet clinics open until Monday. Should I call the emergency vet line or can she wait until Monday? I don't know what to do. Is there any medication I can buy over the counter to give her to relieve the pain at least until Monday?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Surobie is having eye problems. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it one or both eyes?
2- Is he pawing at the eye?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its one eye, her left eye and she has been licking her paw and rubbing her eye with it (like when they are cleaning their face)

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Brooke, you are right to suspect an eye infection if you are seeing a greenish discharge. This is not a life threatening emergency, it can wait to see your family veterinarian on Monday. In the meantime this is what you can do:
1- Pick up over the counter in your local pharmacy eye wash to flush the eye 2-3 times a day. And, wipe all discharge with a moist gauze or clean cloth.
2- Pick up in your local pet store an ecollar (cone) to stop her from pawing her eye. Unfortunately, there is nothing over the counter I can recommend to give her for pain.
3- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brooke,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Surobie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter