Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 25 years.
60411192

My bearded dragons eyes are crusted shut. It has been two

My bearded dragons eyes are crusted shut. It has been two weeks. I replaces all of my bulbs and have been giving Zoo Med turtle eye drops as per my pet stores instructions. I tried to open the eyes, but the inner lid will not open. Is there something I can try.

I am not sure I can get him into the vet for a few weeks due to my work schedule (I am a teacher and a coach and the vet is closed by the time I am available)
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question about Terrance hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response. If you still require assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

But first, I would like to ask a few additional questions if you don't mind:

1. What type of substrate do you use?
2. What is his diet, specially prey and vegetables?
3. What, if any, supplements do you give him?
4. The UVB light that you use.... is it a Florescent tube or compact coil? What strength of bulb is it and what brand? 5. What are the temperatures in his enclosure?
6. Is Terrance eating?
7. When was his last shed?
I'm sorry for so many questions but the answers will help me address your concern about him.

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for responding.
I use slate tiles for his substrate. He has. Zoo med 10 UVB bulb. This one is smaller than the one I just replaced a few weeks ago when his eyes started to crust over but they were all out of the bigger one.
I put in a Zilla 100 watt day heat bulb today (had a 150watt but it blew and this one is my spare).

Normally he eats a mixture of kale/carrots/apple. Today I gave strawberries. I supplement with Flukers bearded dragon pellets. He only gets crickets (dusted w/ calc) around every 4 or 5 weeks (pet store is 40 miles away and I normally get 100 and split with other two).

His last shed was 3 weeks ago, after his last shed his eyes started to get crusty which is why I got the eye drops 2 weeks ago.

Cage is in upper 90's, or it was with the 150 watt bulb.

Right before this happened I had started to sprinkle a little calcium on food because it had been a month since crickets and when I went to a zoo I noticed they had done this and confirmed with keeper.

The last week or so the eye is no longer crusted, but inner lid will not open. I think he is eating. I have not seen him eat but I place him right next to food dish. Not sure if other beardie is eating it all or him.

Hope I got all of your questions answered. Thank you for your assistance.
Michel
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Michel:
Thanks so much for the detailed information; this is very helpful.

There are several possible explanations as to what might be causing this problem with Terrance's eyes which include diet and husbandry issues.

1. Coil UVB bulbs can injure the eyes and cause a problem called Photo Kerato Conjunctivititis. This LINK discusses this problem in detail. I would strongly recommend a tube type UVB bulb.

2. Terrance’s diet needs a little improvement as well. Kale can bind calcium and carrots can cause eye issues if fed on a regular basis. My diet suggestions would be Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be offered fresh daily about an hour after lights are on. Bearded dragons need 80% veggies daily and 20% live prey.

3. The food should be dusted with plain calcium 5 days a week and the Vitamin 2 days a week.

4. Vitamin A deficiency can also cause eye problems.

Additional suggestions include the following:

1. Use warm compresses on the eyes,

2. Add a Reptile Vitamin with Vitamin A included (not Beta Carotene) since there is a difference in absorption

3. Boil liver and try and feed this to Terrance

4. The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms. This nutrition chart may also be helpful (LINK).

5. Discontinue the turtle eye drops and use Terramycin instead. This LINK is where you can order it.

It's possible that Terrance may need to see a vet for this problem if you don't see improvement soon.

I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delay. Deb

Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 25 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Hi Michel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Terrance. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I ordered the ointment and it should come in soon. I also purchased greens and a spaghetti squash and have used that for food. The food was gone when I came home but I am not sure if it was him or the other beardie he is with who ate it. I hope the ointment helps his eyes.
Thank you for your assistance.
Michel
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Michel:
You're welcome; I'm glad that I could help.

I also hope that the ointment is effective once you receive it and are able to apply it to his eyes.

Glad you changed the diet as well:) Good luck Deb