robertnjrotc
robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian

MY ONE MONTH OLD mACAW KEEPS THROWING UP

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 10 months ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that we have a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille

Expert:  robertnjrotc replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.
I am sorry to hear rainbow is not doing well.

I just need a little bit more information:
How long has this been going on? When is Rainbow throwing up and how many times a day is it happening?
What is Rainbow's current diet and what is the feeding schedule?
Is the diet being fed warmed, and if so are you checking the temperature to make sure it is not too hot?
Does Rainbow have normal stool?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

She does it every feeding, 5 hrs. the food is warmed to the right temp. She has normal stool. This has been going on for a week.

I see. Does her crop feel abnormal (swollen/thick)? Is the vomiting right after feeding or is it later after the feeding (meaning is she absorbing anything or is it all coming back out)?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Her crop feels normal, it can be any time after she eats. It can be just a little or a lot. She doesn't throw up after the first morning feeding, but every other time she does.

I see. How much does she weigh right now? is she losing weight? how much are you feeding and does the vomiting stop or decrease if you feed less with each feeding?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

She weighs about a pound and a half, she isn't losing but she really isn't gaining either. She eats about 40 or 50 cc, doesn't matter how much she eats, she still does it.

I see. There could potentially be an issue with crop motility here: where the crop or even the stomach is not emptying out properly. Given this has been going on for so long, there could potentially be a bacterial or fungal infection brewing in the crop as well. One thing you could try is cutting down on the amount she is eating, like going with 30 ml, and still follow the same feeding schedule of every 5 hours or even spreading out the feedings to every 6-8 hours to see if there is any improvement. This problem is very common with stasis, however I think given how long this has been going on, it would be a good idea to get her checked by a vet to have the crop swabbed and checked for infection. The vet could also give you proper antibiotics based on the swabbing.
robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal private practice veterinarian