Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My puppy has coughing and hacking cough as though he has something

stuck in his throat.
this has been going on for two-half days would you please help met
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like your dog may have Kennel Cough. This is a mixed bacterial/ viral infection that causes inflammation of the trachea (windpipe). You can usually elicit a cough by rubbing the neck. The coughing leads to gagging which leads to vomiting saliva/ foam.

Your best bet is to get your dog seen and started on antibiotics to clear the bacterial part. The viral part will have to run it's course and that can take 1-2 weeks. The signs can be controlled with antitussives to blunt the cough reflex. I like either Hycodan or Torb for this.

If you want to give something over the counter, you can give Robitussin DM- 1/4 teaspoon for a small dog, 1/2 teaspoon for a medium sized dog or 1 teaspoon for a large dog. You can give it every 8-12 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.