Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

I have an older cat with a number of little bumps on her skin.

I have an older cat with a number of little bumps on her skin. She scratches at them a lot. The vet said it was probably nerves as her companion has just passed away. He gave her a cortisone shot but they seem to have gotten worse, she has a 6 month old kitten as a new play mate, and I have now noticed the kitten has some of these bumps on her neck any thoughts. I have used revolution so am pretty sure there is no fleas

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that we have a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still need an answer to my question, it just got very late before you replied last night,

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about Desi's skin problem. Most skin problems in cats have at least somewhat of an allergic basis, so I think the cortisone was a reasonable place to start, but clearly allergies are not the case if cortisone is just making the rash worse. Rashes caused by flea allergy dermatitis also usually respond to cortisone, so I agree with you that the Revolution is probably keeping any fleas away.

In my experience, cats with nervous skin issues will pull out their hair, but they usually don't get their skin. The skin usually looks totally normal underneath. I have to disagree with the diagnosis of nerves.

I think that all evidence points to a bacterial skin infection. Whether it started with an allergy or not, cortisone works to depress the immune system, and when bacteria are present, they can sort of grow out of control. This causes a rash, which itches. The cat scratches, makes more places for bacteria to invade, and the cycle keeps going.

In short, I think she needs to go back to the vet and get a shot of Convenia (a long-acting antibiotic that is good for skin infections), or possibly a prescription for you to give her antibiotics at home.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.