Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

my mini lop rabbit had her incisors removed, is eating and

my mini lop rabbit had her incisors removed, is eating and running around but makes a squealing or rasping noise wen near her. is this a cause for concern? we started her on antibiotics post op today. thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,

It's great to hear that she is running around and eating and drinking. Those are very good signs. Was her surgery today, or earlier in the week?

Rabbits, especially young rabbits, have teeth with very long roots that travel up toward the nasal cavity, and after tooth removal there can be some swelling in the nasal cavity that can cause any breathing or sudden inhalation or exhalation to sound unusual. Alternatively, she may be squealing or grinding her molars if her surgery was yesterday or today and her mouth is tender or sore as a warning to others to keep clear and not touch her.

As long as she is eating and drinking, moving around, and there is no discharge from her nose or mouth, I don't think this is cause for immediate concern. Give her a few days for the swelling to go down and her mouth to feel better. Did your veterinarian prescribe pain medication for her? If not, you may want to contact him or her and see if he or she thinks it is a good idea.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.