Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

I have a female pygmy goat. Ive had her about 1 year. Her

I have a female pygmy goat. I've had her about 1 year. Her udders have gotten really large lately. There is no possibility of her being pregnant. She doesn't seem to be in pain, she eats fine and runs and plays. She is probably nearing her heat. Could that be a cause?
Hi there,

What you are describing sounds like pseudopregnancy. After a heat cycle, the goat's hormonal system fools her body into thinking it is pregnant. You can see udder development, and some (but not all) goats will also show nesting behavior or have personality changes. A goat's pregnancy is the same length as its heat cycle (around 2 months), so when she goes into heat again, it should pass, and her udders should go down on their own. You may see her pass a small amount of clear fluid from her vagina, or you may see nothing. It's unusual for them to have a pseudopregnancy on the next heat cycle too, so things should go back to normal.

If it bothers you or you want it to go away sooner, you can give her Lutalyse, an injection that you can get from your vet, which will make her come into heat early. However, it will go away on its own with no intervention from you if you wait.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrTaus