Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.

Heathy young dog not eating. Drinking lots of water. Had rear

Customer Question

Heathy young dog not eating. Drinking lots of water. Had rear paw raised until he deficated. Should I make him vomit? How long before I have to take him to the vet?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. I'll need a little more information to best help you:

Dr. Barbara :

For how long has Sylvestre not been eating? For how long has he been drinking a lot of water? Is he vomiting or having diarrhea?

Dr. Barbara :

With your responses I should be able to answer your questions.

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara

Customer:

Only since this morning. He seemed fine at 2am. No vomiting or diarrhea yet. Should I give him peroxide to make him vomit?

Customer:

If you are writing, I cannot see it.

Customer:

Technical issue. I will have to cancel this.

Dr. Barbara :

I am here. . .was waiting for your response and then stepped away for a short time.

Customer:

Okay.

Dr. Barbara :

Is it possible that Sylvestre ate something toxic? That would be the only reason to cause vomiting.

Customer:

He garbages a lot

Dr. Barbara :

Does his abdomen look swollen to you? He is keeping the water down, correct?

Customer:

He was chewing on a marrow bone yesterday.

Dr. Barbara :

Did he ingest pieces of the bone, or just the marrow?

Customer:

He has kept everything down. I will check abdo. Pieces.

Customer:

I can't tell if it's swollen. It's tight.

Dr. Barbara :

The concern in a larger dog is if the stomach has turned and is accumulating gas. This is an emergency. However, many dogs will eat unusual stuff and have an upset stomach. . .this can be true even if they aren't vomiting, and drinking lots of water will also swell up the stomach.

Dr. Barbara :

Is Sylvestre acting distressed at all? Would you check the color of his gums for me and then push on them? They should blanch and then the color should return in 2 seconds or less?

Customer:

yes he is uncomfortable

Customer:

his gums are black

Dr. Barbara :

Oh. . .pigmented. Is his tongue pink?

Dr. Barbara :

The question of course is: is his stomach turned? If it is, then giving hydrogen peroxide is contraindicated.

Dr. Barbara :

To determine if his stomach is turned or if there are pieces of bone stuck som

Customer:

Yes, his tongue is pink.

Dr. Barbara :

oooops. . . somewhere. Having a piece of bone in the intestines is not an immediate danger and it could pass.

Customer:

He ate a few bites of kibble when the cat snacked in his bowl. But this is very unusual for him.

Dr. Barbara :

That's a good sign.

Dr. Barbara :

Also, having a pink tongue is good.

Dr. Barbara :

Do you mean unusual for him this AM? He's been eating just fine before this AM, correct? If you offer him a favorite treat now, will he eat it?

Customer:

He had a real leg up off the ground until I walked him and he pooped. Then he walked slowly on all 4 legs. Could he still walk if his stomach had twisted?

Dr. Barbara :

Yes.

Dr. Barbara :

Are you offering him a treat? Any success?

Customer:

He ate the treat.

Dr. Barbara :

Excellent!

Customer:

He burbed once after drinking.

Customer:

Right now, he just wants to lie down. He looks sad. Normal for him is starving and very energetic.

Customer:

What does the vet have to do to know if his stomach is twisted. Can she tell by touch?

Dr. Barbara :

This is always the question we all have with labs etc. They tend to be garbage hounds which can lead just to gastroenteritis, but could also lead to a twisted stomach (GVD. . .Gastric Volulus and Dilatation). The definitive diagnostic is an abdominal xray.

Dr. Barbara :

Even tho' Sylvestre doesn't seem to be in much trouble yet, he could quickly go downhill.

Dr. Barbara :

And this is a very serious situation. . .if this is his problem??????? So, the best would be to have your vet there check him and to do an xray if she thinks this is indicated.

Customer:

Could his stomach be twisted even though he pooped?

Dr. Barbara :

I feel badly that I can't tell you definitely here.

Dr. Barbara :

Yes. Ultimately he wouldn't have anything to defecate, but there are a lot of intestines with stool from yesterday meals that would not be affected by a twisted stomach.

Dr. Barbara :

He does have encouraging signs: He burped. He ate a few kibbles and a treat. He's keeping those down and the water down.

Customer:

Okay. I made an appointment for tonight.

Dr. Barbara :

Are you able to watch him today?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Barbara :

Very good! If his stomach continues to be distended looking, or if he continues to be uncomfortable. . .usually anxiety is part of this, then he could have GDV and should see the vet before tonight.

Dr. Barbara :

I had a black lab named Igor, who was a garbage hound also. More than once, he came home very uncomfortable with his stomach area distended. I had to have him checked with an xray once which was negative for GDV, but in the other situations, as just a little timed passed it became obvious that he was OK.

Customer:

5:40 was the time offered. He seems the same.

Dr. Barbara :

If your vet knew that Sylvestre possibly had GDV, then they would get him in right away.

Dr. Barbara :

Does he seem anxious, or just lethargic?

Dr. Barbara :

How's his stomach area doing? Still tight?

Customer:

Well, he is anxious and it's still tight.

Dr. Barbara :

Then I would call your vet and tell them we think he possibly has a twisted stomach. They should see him right away!

Dr. Barbara :

I hope I'm wrong!!!!!!! But if it is GDV, it is an emergency!

Customer:

ok am on the phone with them

Dr. Barbara :

Please let me know. . .OK?

Customer:

They can see him in an hour, but if he needs surgery, he has to go the Montreal, about another hour away.

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for letting me know. Sure hope he doesn't have GDV and you're not taking a trip to Montreal!

Dr. Barbara :

Best of luck! Please let me know!

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara

Experience: Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.

Hi Christina,

I'm wondering about Sylvestre. Did he have GDV? How are you both?

Thanks in advance for letting me know!

Dr. Barbara