Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 3month old puppy has the dirarea. We thought it was from

My 3month old puppy has the dirarea. We thought it was from her eating green tomatoes but that has been 5 days since that. Could her tummy be upset yet. Could it be stress or just plain naughtyness?
Hello again, welcome back!

1- Besides the diarrhea is Chloe showing any other symptoms like vomiting, lethargy, etc.?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No , very hyper and reg puppy b biting on everything, including the other two dogs. No vomitting, eating her food and some of the older dogs food (loyal brand adult).
Crystal, I don't believe the diarrhea is related to stress or naughtiness. Common causes for diarrhea in a puppy are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amounts of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours, have her checked by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter