Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My dog just ate a rat. What should I do?

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since Kobi ate the rat?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
About 20 minutes
Was it a dead rat or did Kobi kill it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure, but I believe it was already dead
Diane, if the rat was dead from a poison it is highly unlikely for the poison to have any effect on Kobi. The main concern would the bones of the rat which can become obstructed. In most cases however they are able to digest the bones without any problems.This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting, the bones can damage the esophagus on the way out making matters worst.
3- Change the diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone(s) out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter