Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

Hi, we have a year old Quaker parrot who was fine yesterday.

Hi, we have a year old Quaker parrot who was fine yesterday. Since this morning he has been quiet and listless and is not eating. He promptly vomits up any water he drinks. His feces is not formed and looks like diarrhea. He also gags and moves his neck laterally instead of his usual back and forth bob. We've wracked our brains for the cause - the only thing different we can think of is he ate some maple keys yesterday but I checked and they're not supposed to be toxic. Other thoughts are URTI, possible wasp sting (or he may have eaten one). We're probably heading to emerg really soon - any other ideas?
Hi there,

I would encourage you to go ahead and take your bird to an emergency clinic right away. Since this came up suddenly, I wonder about an impaction or physical obstruction of his GI tract. While the maple keys shouldn't be toxic, he may have swallowed a piece too large to pass. Birds tend to hide their clinical signs unless they are quite ill, so I really think that having a professional evaluate him as soon as possible is important.

Hi Clare,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Walter. How is everything going?