Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

Hello, we have a 4 year old pet lamb. She is bleeding out of

Hello, we have a 4 year old pet lamb. She is bleeding out of her vaginal area. You can see it on puddling on the outside and then when she urinates it washes it to the ground. sometimes it will just drip in drops to the ground. She seems to feel alright. Maybe isn't eating as much. This happens every 30 days or so. We treated her with Ammonium chloride the second time and sulfa the third time. The first time it stopped on its own so we thought we were out of the woods. She has never been bred. Do you have an idea of what could be going on? (It could also be in her urine, it's hard to tell exactly. When she urinates its starts off red and is then yellow but I thought it was because it was running through the blood on her backside?)
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

I think the first thing that needs to happen is to differentiate whether the bleeding is coming from her urinary tract or her vagina. If it is coming from her urinary tract, I'd suspect bladder stones (these are very common in pet sheep and goats), but if it's coming from her vagina, I'd be more suspicious of either bleeding associated with the heat cycle or bleeding associated with a mass in the uterus (also common in sheep).

Bleeding associated with the heat cycle is usually minimal and you may see it for just a day or two out of the month. Your description of the urine sounds more consistent with bladder stones, and may stop for a while after treatments such as the ones you gave that can kill off bacteria associated with the stones.

Ultimately, I'd suggest a visit to the vet for a thorough exam. Once they find out exactly the source of the bleeding, it's going to be a lot easier to determine a treatment that will work to stop it.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok... thank you. The blood comes from the little thing that sticks out just below the anal opening... does that sound more vaginal than urinary?

Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
Both the vaginal opening and the opening of the urinary tract actually open inside that area. You can't really tell from the outside. Your vet will be able to tell by examining that area (often with a gloved finger), in combination with looking at the whole lamb.

I apologize for not having a more specific treatment for you to follow. I think you need to get more information to be able to help her.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.