Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

I have a 20 year old male Maine coon cat. He has been deaf

I have a 20 year old male Maine coon cat. He has been deaf for about 2 years now and meows extremely loudly and always sleeps on our bed. Lately he has been very quiet and is sleeping under a bed in another room which is not usual for him, I am afraid he is getting ready to pass, what should I look for and what can I do? He was actually born the same week as my son and he is soooo much part of this family, my heart is breaking but I want to make sure he is comfortable.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 11 months ago.
Hi there,

I'm so sorry that Huey isn't feeling well. What a wonderful, long life he has had with your family!

Our first concern right now is that Huey is comfortable and can have a good end of his life, if that's what's happening. For that reason, my best suggestion for you would be to try to find out what is really bothering him. Cats hide their symptoms, and knowing what is making not feel well can help you know what to expect and how to best help him.

If he is being very quiet and not showing any signs of pain, you can leave him alone and let him find the place he is most comfortable to rest and relax. However, if you are concerned that he is in pain or not comfortable, which could be evidenced by just not acting like himself, you could see if there is a house call vet in your area. This person could do a gentle exam at home and see if there is any reason to think that he is in pain, and prescribe medication if he is. If it is clear that there is something uncomfortable that is not going to get better, this person could also offer humane euthanasia at home where he is comfortable.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
Hi Anna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Huey. How is everything going?

DrTaus