Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

my white Turkish angora has a sore beneath her left eye. I

my white Turkish angora has a sore beneath her left eye. I is flat and does not weep but wouldn't heal. I took her to the vet they gave her antibiotics, it didn't heal. I tried oral tissue salts and a homeopathic wound powder which had no effect.
Took her back and they did a biopsy which told us they are pre-cancerous cells.
A friend suggested colloidal silver, another hemp oil, and another calendula oil. I have a pet sunblock but am cautious next to her eye. There is no visible tumour, and they say its too close to the eye to remove. What can I do for her?
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear about the biopsy results. Unfortunately, there is no known treatment that will stop those precancerous cells from continuing to develop into squamous cell carcinoma. This is especially common in white skin on the face that is exposed to more UV light than other areas. Anything that causes local irritation, including some homeopathics, can actually make this process faster.

Squamous cell carcinoma can develop quickly, or it can take months to years to fully establish itself. It is very locally invasive and becomes quite painful, large, and unsightly over time.

My recommendation for you would be to ask for referral to a veterinary oncologist. There are a number of options for treating lesions like this, even close to the eye. Cryotherapy (freezing the bad tissue) may be helpful. Targeted irradiation can be used if needed, and a surgeon used to dealing with tumors may be able to suggest eye-sparing surgery to eliminate the lesion. If you wait, this is going to get bigger and harder to deal with.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Hi Helen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pooh Bear. How is everything going?

DrTaus