Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Why would our dog develop chronic diarrhea what can stop i

Why would our dog develop chronic diarrhea what can stop it?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Jackie.

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

But, you said chronic diarrhea...and!!! look at what products you have already tried. Quite a few.

Therefore, at this age, we must be thinking about more serious organ problems or a primary intestinal disease including (hate to say it) a intestinal cancer. We do see this a lot in veterinary medicine.

So, definitely, one test to ask your vet about is abdominal ultrasound. It may tell you a lot of information.

Treatment? Tough..you've tried a lot.
1. For antibiotics, ask specifically for starting a course of flagyl (metronidazole).

2. Last resort, ask about starting some steroids like prednisone. Even with cancer, some inflammatory diseases can respond to steroid use.

3. If your vet can get it, there is a supplement called "Rx Clay" from the Rx Vitamins company that is quite good as well.

Very sorry to hear about Jackie. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.