Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

My 8-year old male lab has had swelling in both front feet

My 8-year old male lab has had swelling in both front feet for 5 months. X-rays didn't show fractures, & the vet us thinking arthritis. He has tested positive for anaplasmosis every other year for a while, including 2 months ago. Any chance the dual foot swelling might be related to the anaplasmosis? Vet said they Don't normally treat if the dos' s asymptomatic, but I'm thinking perhaps the swelling us his symptom.
Hi there,

The foot swelling is probably unrelated to the Anaplasmosis test. The test checks for antibodies to Anaplasma, which is a common tick borne illness. The antibodies hang around for a long time after the illness is gone, and they can test positive on and off for years without actually being sick any more.

The signs of Anaplasma are seen in bloodwork. Your dog could be anemic or have an increased number of lymphocytes or too few platelets. Other than that, we sometimes see lethargy or generally acting like he doesn't feel well. Swelling of the feet is not generally a symptom of Anaplasma. In sick dogs, we can often see the organism floating around inside blood cells.

If you are really concerned that his positive test is real, you could ask your vet to have a pathologist look at a blood smear, if this hasn't already been done. Otherwise, I think it's reasonable to see what the Previcox does for the swelling. If it's not sufficient, I'd consider looking at samples of joint fluid from his feet to see if it's a rheumatoid arthritis-like condition where his immune system is attacking his joints.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gauge. How is everything going?