Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a pet rabbit. His nose seems to be injured due to the

I have a pet rabbit. His nose seems to be injured due to the fact that he bites and nibbles on his cage wires in an attempt to escape. He sneezes constantly and there is some white discharge seen around his nose. The fur around his nose is clipping off too. Is this a serious medical emergency or will it heal with time?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Based on your description of the white discharge this is an infection now. Although this is not an emergency this will not resolve on it's own either. It will need a vet to prescribe antibiotics to take care of that infection before it becomes pneumonia or a permanent upper respiratory infection. Do not put human antibiotic creams on the nose as the antibiotic in most human antibiotic creams are toxic to rabbits.

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Dan! So would applying Bacitracin be a good idea? How do you think this may have been caused? Is the air clipping off his nose and the constant sneezing all a part of the infection? Do you think it has anything to do with him constantly nibbling on the cage wires? Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

NO bacitracin is exactly the medication I was talking about! If ingested that medication will cause a fatal diarrhea.

The constant sneezing is part of the infection, the constant contact with the white stuff and the rubbing of his nose with his feet (you may not be seeing it) is causing the hair loss. The rubbing on the wires may be related but this is a very common infection and many rabbits get this without any trauma to the nose.

Dr. Dan

FYI I have to take a road trip back home if you have any more follow up questions I will respond but I'll be off line for about 8 hours.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Derrick,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mickey. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan