Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics

my 14 year old dsh female cat has had a mucus sac filled with

Customer Question

my 14 year old dsh female cat has had a mucus sac filled with blood in her stools. This happens about once a month for the past few months.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Denver ER Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,

Does Clara have any other signs of problems? Vomiting? Inappetance? Weight loss?

HOw recently did you switch her food? And how quickly? Has it had any effect?

Thanks,
Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi...No, Clara is acting normal. She is not vomiting and has a playful nature. I changed her dry food to a different brand. She was eating Purina indoor formula and I switched to Purina for older cats. She also eats a quarter of a can of Nine Lives wet food in the morning. This has been her routine for her 14 years with me. Sometimes I give her a small bit of Chicken ,Turkey or Tuna from the table. I thought this may be irritating her bowels since she is older now and have stopped ALL table food for ,at least 2 months now. There has been no change. Sometimes this happens if I leave her overnight. I attributed it to a nervous stomach, but since I am not a Vet I cannot adequately justify ignoring this or self diagnosing her problem. I am disabled and cannot take her to a Vet near me without asking someone to come . ( I have MS and cannot walk and carry her ) I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX assistance you can be. Thank You, Camille

OK Camille, thanks for the information.

This is not an uncommon problem in older cats.

Among the more common diagnoses: IBS/IBD (irritable bowel), gastrointestinal lymphoma (cancer of the immune tissue of the GI tract), and recurrent low-grade pancreatitis (inflammation of the organ that helps them digest food).

The good news: if it is only happening about once a month and she does not have any other clinical signs of trouble (weight loss, vomiting, lack of appetite), then you really don't need to do anything at this point.

Things you might consider:

1) Add a probiotic to her food to increase the amount of beneficial bacteria in her gut and help eliminate inflammation. Here is an example: http://www.petfooddirect.com/product/7905/Purina-Veterinary-Diets-FortiFlora-Feline-Nutritional-Supplement?extcid=PLAV&gclid=CPzmmoK3mbkCFchDMgodXmYA8w

2) Drop off a stool sample with your primary DVM to make sure she doesn't have a low-grade parasite load.

3) If the frequency or amount increase, or she begins vomiting or not wanting to eat, you will need to have an abdominal ultrasound done, and the may need to collect some biopsies. This is an indicator that the problem has gotten worse.

Hope that helps!! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you so much for your expert explanation. I will try the probiotics as I do know the benefits. I had her de-wormed 2 years ago when she went outside and got lost for 3 days. The Vet said it was a good idea etc. ( She's an Indoor cat and NEVER leaves my house) I do give her a worm and parasite dose once a month( Hartz from a Pet store) Is this O.K? If you feel you need to speak to me you can call me .XXX-XXX-XXXX Again, I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX Camille

I can't call you--the website blocks phone numbers. :)

If she is indoor only and your place has no risk of fleas, then I would avoid the Hartz products. You just never know what you are getting with over-the-counter parasite prevention.

Glad I could help. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Dr. Paul

Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics
Hi Camille,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Clara. How is everything going?

Denver ER Doc
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is the same. She goes for a few weeks of normal bowels then another episode. Right now she is fine. I ordered the probiotics you recommended and will start her on them in a few days. Hopefully she will respond. Thank you again for your concern. Sincerely. Camille