Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Hi. My male 9 year old sharpei is off his food and losing weight

Hi. My male 9 year old sharpei is off his food and losing weight , he has lost all his energy and is snuffling heavier than normal. I have changed his food and he is eating part of it but then doesn't go back to it for a day or 2 . I have mixed a bit of chicken stock with it and he eats a few mouthfuls .
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Pet Doc :

Hi there

Pet Doc :

Thanks for your question regarding your 9 year old Sharpei boy Louis who has gone off his food recently as well as being a little more lethargic and snuffly than usual

Pet Doc :

As you can probably appreciate, there are a number of possible causes for these symptoms including anything from an upper respiratory tract infection making him snuffly and potentially giving him a temperature which is putting him off his food and making him lethargic, or simply the fact he cannot smell his food properly may be putting him off his food

Pet Doc :

It sounds like you have tried a range of foods for Louis over the last few days but with little success

Pet Doc :

If this has been going on for some time and he has lost a bit of weight now, then you really are best to have your local Vet carry out a full blood test on your boy

Pet Doc :

A full check up should include a full physical exam and temperature check in his case. If possible - a nasal exam would also be good to help rule out an upper respiratory tract infection/rhinitis

Pet Doc :

I would also then recommend a full blood panel to check for signs of infection, as well as checking his internal organ function

Pet Doc :

An issue may potentially be highlighted as a result of this

Pet Doc :

If you can get your boy seen by your regular Vet at some point tomorrow, that would be fine

Pet Doc :

In the meantime, you are going to have to continue to tempt him with a range of different foods

Pet Doc :

Good on you for trying the James Wellbeloved as well as mixing in fresh chicken stock.

Pet Doc :

The main thing in the next day or two is to make sure that Louis is drinking ok.

Pet Doc :

Hopefully he has a normal thirst and isn't drinking more or less than usual

Customer: He is drinking about the same as normal.
Pet Doc :

As for his food - it may be best to try actually making him something from home. For this, cooked, boneless,skinless chicken breast and white rice is very good and usually tempts dogs quite nicely

Pet Doc :

Ok excellent

Pet Doc :

If you do see your regular Vet tomorrow at some point - also try and collect and take in a fresh urine sample if you can

Customer: His poos are not very solid too
Pet Doc :

Ok - so he may even have a touch of gastroenteritis putting him off his food and making him lethargic.

Pet Doc :

So! If you can....take in a fresh poo and urine sample!

Pet Doc :

Also make sure he is up to date with deworming treatments

Pet Doc :

Drontal or Milbemax are best for this.

Customer: I have been on antibiotics for sinititus and cold recently, would a dog catch something maybe ?
Pet Doc :

It is very unlikely - so dont' worry about that

Pet Doc :

It is much more likely that if Louis DOES have a similar problem, that it is completely unrelated

Customer: Apart from suggesting cooking chicken and rice are there any foods etc I can buy to tempt him or treats to get his appetite back ?
Pet Doc :

The cooked chicken and rice is ideal as it is typically very palatable AND very bland (in case he does have a GI issue)

Pet Doc :

James Wellbeloved is very good in this situation as well as typically it is bland, but palatable as well

Pet Doc :

Otherwise Burns is another good product

Pet Doc :

As he has lost weight as a result of all this, I would definitely encourage you to get him seen tomorrow though if you can

Customer: What about marries or denta stick type treats ?
Customer: Markies
Pet Doc :

They are fine, but it is best to stick with bland food only until your Vet has gotten to the bottom of this

Pet Doc :

So - if you Louis can handle it and you can convince him to eat the chicken and rice mix, then this would be best rather than any other sort of treats

Customer: Ok will try , thanks
Pet Doc :

No problem

Pet Doc :

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this!!

Pet Doc :

Let me know how you get on if you get a chance

Customer: Yeah I hope so
Customer: Thank you for your help .
Pet Doc :

No problem at all

Pet Doc :

Don't forget to click a smiley :-D face if this has been helpful

Pet Doc :

Kind Regards,

Pet Doc :

Dr Edwards

Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Louis. How is everything going?

Pet Doc