Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

I have an 18 year old cat that is losing weight but eats alot.

I have an 18 year old cat that is losing weight but eats alot. Could he need to be put down?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

No, not necessarily!
Eating alot! Losing weight!

This combination is one of the most significant symptoms seen with the number 2 condition seen in all older cats. It is called hyperthyroidism, and it is very possible to manage the condition.

* Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)

I absolutely vote for getting into a vet for some basic testing.

A feline basic blood test and a urine test (urinalysis) may answer a lot of concerns, or at least rule-out many possible explanations.

What can tests tell you:
Chemistry Panel
CBC (complete blood count)

Both, a blood and urine sample is usually easy for a veterinarian to obtain. A urine test is taken directly from a needle poke into the bladder, with a needle no bigger than what is used to give a vaccine.

- ensure a thyroid level is also included on the blood test to rule-out hyperthyroidism (elevated thyroid hormone)

Definitely, well worth the testing before making any decisions.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Anita,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now everytime he sneezes, he sneezes blood out of his nose, he sneezes hard as well. Some time we will look at his and his nose is bleeding.
Other wise he is ok

That is quite serious. It could suggest a upper respiratory infection, a polyp or tumor inside his nasal cavity, or the beginning of a bleeding disorder caused by other systemic issues.

Sorry to hear about this other symptom, definitely, well worth getting into a vet without any delay. A course of antibiotics may also be suggested.