Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 16 year old golden retriever is is remarkably good condidtion,

My 16 year old golden retriever is is remarkably good condidtion, given his age. His kidney function is reduced, however, and he is on a specialist 'renal' diet. Subsequent blood result showed an improvement on this diet.
He has begun to limp a bit - probably arthritis, especially on his right leg, which has a pin in it from a repair when he was knocked down some years ago.I keep his walks shorter now, under protest from him, as walking is his great joy in life. Vet put him on 1/2 pardale twice a day, which improved his walking, then the limp got worse and vet increased dose to 2 pardale twice a day. Again limp disappeared, but has now returned. I believe that pardale is paracetamol based. My question is: is this an appropriate treatment for a dog with renal probs and should it be used long term? He has been on this tabs for 2 months now. Would steroids - rimadyl for example be better? Or not, given his kidneys?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello . I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with Sam today.

This is a very common situation we face in our older animals (all species, even people) who suffer from multiple older age issues, like arthritis and kidney insufficiency. Now with Sam we find ourselves needing to treat the discomfort his arthritis (which would be quite likely at his age and potentially exacerbated by this previous fracture/repair) but at the same time wanting to do so while trying to keep any strain drugs may put on the kidneys as low as possible for him.

Unfortunately, in situations like this, there is no single straight forward treatment option. This is because most of our first line 'anti-inflammatory' medications for treating the discomfort associated with arthritis are filtered through the kidney. This includes Pardale, the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (ie Rimadyl, Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, etc), and steroids. Despite this, we do have pure pain relieving medications (ie Tramadol, Bupenorphine, etc). These can sometimes be helpful with animals who are painful with their arthritis but we do sometimes find that the lack of anti-inflammatory relief in these medications can limit their success in these situations.

The reason we do give great consideration to the long term use of any medication that is filtered by the kidney in these situations is because if a dog has kidney insufficiency, this would be an extra 'job' for the kidneys to process. This means that it is possible that with long term treatment, this 'extra workload' (along with all the other daily strains on the kidney of course) could negatively impact the kidneys over time and play a role in the progression of his kidney disease.

Therefore, in these situations, we need to find a balance. If Sam is no longer responding positively to the Pardale, then we do have to consider that his discomfort from arthritis may be progressing to a severity that the Pardale cannot fully relieve. If that is the case, then you may wish to consider discussing other options with his vet. You may even want to speak to your vet about Tramdol or oral bupenorphine preparations as a potential treatment trial. If these work for him, then they'd be an option for long term treatment in his situation. But if you find these do not aid Sam's limp enough (or makes him too drowsy), then you may want to consider using a low dose of an alternative anti-inflammatory medication like one of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. And if this route is required to manage Sam's situation, then we may need to support the kidneys while treating (with diet +/- kidney supporting medication or subcutaneous fluids). That said, this would completely depend on his specific kidney blood parameters and urine results specifically.

Finally, while often not enough in advanced arthritic conditions, you might want to also consider using joint support supplements like glucosamine/chondroitin. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and the ones we typically use for dogs in this situation would be Cosequin (LINK), Seraquin (LINK), and Flexivet (is usually more economical then the others but I have had good results with it). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with mild signs, but it could be enough in balance with his current treatments to settle some of the discomfort he has had. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, this could be an option along with his current treatment or any future one you may use.

Overall, when we have pets who are suffering from multiple issues of this nature, our goal is to find the least taxing treatment option that gives him adequate relief to carry out those parts of his life that are important to him. Therefore, if the Pardale at this ever increasing dose is not helping, then we do need to consider other pain relief options as well as supporting his kidneys (if required) while using these medications. Because at the end of the day, our goal is to keep him as comfortable, mobile, and happy as long as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer, so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied with my help (not necessarily the disease you pet has or the website), please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.