Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

Americauna chicken, born on Easter, just getting its colored

Americauna chicken, born on Easter, just getting its colored feathers in after the black, huge size about 8 pounds, female.

She's not in discernible pain, we've inspected and can't find anything broken, infested or infected. Appetite is good. No sign of dehydration. Clear eyes. She was previously walking perfectly.

She's walking like she has some kind of palsy, takes a couple steps, then does a facedive, She can't get up to the roosting sticks and lays on the ground in the coop in a self made nest. The condition seems to be getting worse. Complete loss of balance. Legs are wobbly, but not malformed.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.I'm sorry to read of Godzilla's condition. There are a number of different conditions that can cause the symptoms you're seeing in her, and I'll need to ask a few questions to try to shorten the list a bit before offering an opinion on what might be wrong. Has she started laying eggs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No eggs yet. None of this hatching (9 chicks) are laying. Time expectation for this is October.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you, Stan. Has she been exposed to any new or strange chickens in the past three weeks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No exposures to any new chickens. They have a large area to roam, but are not "free range" There are no other chickens in the immediate area.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do her wings look droopy, or her neck twisted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wings are tight and can flap, neck is straight. If there's a way to send it, I could take a picture if it would help.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX don't think a picture would b of much help here. If you grab her beak and try to bend it, does it feel softer than you would expect it to? I'll wait while you check, if you're in the position to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Beak feels like other beaks in the coop. Not soft.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the reason I asked is that exceptionally large individuals may suffer from rickets, not being able to get enough calcium and/or vitamin D to help their bones get hard. Have you noticed any changes in her droppings color, consistency volume or frequency?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A little tough to determine that one... Should I put her in a private cage and wait for evidence? I'm not seeing anything "abnormal" in my coop, where she spends all her time now.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Yes, isolate her. A small cardboard box lined with towels would be an ideal hospital box. Feed her warm, highly nutritious foods like warm oatmeal, pancakes, corn bread and scrambled eggs to help keep up her strength. Without knowing what we might be treating, covering her with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Tylan (tylocin) or Gallimycin (erythromycin) would be a good idea. Occasionally large birds like Godzilla may simply outgrow their leg's ability to support them, and they sometimes need a bit of time to catch up. Among the possibilities are the following: Infectious bursal disease (common), Infectious synovitis (not common), Marek's disease (common), Newcastle (common), Osteopetrosis (common), Fowl tick (not common, but check her over just in case).
As you can see the list is still quite long, but without additional information we can't reduce it any more than that. The treatment at this point consists of nursing care and broad spectrum antibiotics. Googling each of the diseases I've mentioned will yield a number of articles that you can study to try to pinpoint the problem. The treatment, when available, however, is going to be close to what I've outlined above. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Her feces is "perfect"....

Is it possible that she "blew out" her knee?

Her right leg is acting normal, but she is "standing" on her drumstick base.

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. Getting some Tylan today, just in case.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Stan.
It's very possible that she has a bacterial infection in her hock (knee). Hopefully the Tylan will be effective and she'll straighten out for you. Let me know if I may assist you in any way, now or in the future.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice