Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

I have a 2 month old doeling that was fine yesterday, but this

I have a 2 month old doeling that was fine yesterday, but this morning is staggering a little and won't eat or drink. She doesn't seem to be bloated, but am guessing some sort of digestion issue. She is weaned and eating alfalfa and pasture grasses. Her nose is clean, and her eyes look OK, but the heat even in the shade makes it appear like there might be a little fever. Any ideas? I have about 50 other goats of all ages, and there hasn't been any health issues with them to date. This little goat is from a dairy that has a vaccination program, but I don't know what all they vaccinate for.
Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear that your goat is not feeling well. When there is no sign of bloat or diarrhea, I find that respiratory infections are the most common cause of illness and being off feed in young goats, and we can see goats not feel well and not want to eat before coughing or nasal discharge starts.

I would suggest going ahead with a shot of antibiotic, preferably Naxcel if you have it, although penicillin or LA-200 would also be fine. If she can be in a cool, quiet place where the other goats don't bother her without being too unhappy about being away from the others, that would also be good.

I think you are right to not force her to drink from the bottle-- we don't want to over-stress her. If she's continuing to not drink, and dehydration begins, you may either tube her water and electrolytes if you are comfortable doing that, or have your veterinarian examine her and give her fluids.

I would also suggest an injection of B-vitamin complex, as some infections cause a B-vitamin deficiency that can result in signs like staggering and can quickly become life-threatening.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrTaus