Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My 9 year old tabby, Kiki, was attempting to climb onto me

My 9 year old tabby, Kiki, was attempting to climb onto me from the ottoman. She started slipping between the couch and the ottoman and looked at me like Mufasa looked at Scar in The Lion King (please don't let me fall!). My arm was under her belly and I lifted it up to reposition her on our ottoman. Is there any way I could have hurt her by doing that? I lifted her by her lower belly more toward her hind legs which is not something I usually ever do. It is just sort of where my arm landed. She is healthy, in fact I just took her for her annual Saturday. She did not cry and is not showing any signs of being in pain. I just have never applied any sort of pressure to that area and want to make sure I didn't rupture her bladder or something!

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Kiki and the way that you lifted/caught her.

I don't think that you injured her at all and I bet she appreciates you catching her.

The good thing about the abdomen is that the contents move around easily and slip out of the way when pressure is applied. It is difficult to injure abdominal contents unless we have some sort of sharp, very fast, very forceful abdominal trauma such as falling a great distance onto something or being hit by a car. The urinary bladder is quite elastic and a healthy bladder is almost impossible to rupture without tremendous force, especially if it isn't full.

Your lifting her by her rear abdomen, though not especially comfortable, would not have been forceful enough to do her any harm. The fact that she is showing no signs of pain now, and she didn't cry out when she was lifted are both further evidence that no harm was done.

Rest assured your girl is fine and the only thing hurt is likely her pride.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much! She had a Urinary tract infection a week and a half prior to her annual and had stopped eating until we treated it but was re-assessed on saturday and upon receiving the urinalysis results, I was given the ok to stop her Orbax as her infection had cleared up. She made me VERY nervous with that incident, so I'm a cat mom on edge! The peace of mind you have given me is much appreciated.

You are very welcome. I understand now why you were so worried, I'm sure that you were thinking that her bladder may be more fragile then usual given her recent infection. No reason to worry though as the bladder is a very tough, elastic structure. Have a nice night and enjoy your girl, no need to worry, Dr. Kara.